In attendance were Vice Chairman of the Municipal People’s Committee, Standing Vice Head of the Municipal Steering Committee Ngo Van Quy, and leaders of the city’s entities and localities.
Giving a report at the meeting, Deputy Director of the Health Department Hoang Duc Hanh said, as of 3 pm on February 14, a total of 64,439 cases of COVID-19 infection had been recorded worldwide. The death toll had reached 1,383, with 1,380 in mainland China. Vietnam had confirmed 16 cases, seven have recovered and been discharged from hospital so far.
To date, no case of Covid-19 had been detected in Hanoi. 58 out of 61 people suspected of catching the new coronavirus were confirmed negative with nCoV, others are waiting for test results. 480 people are isolated for monitoring.
Hanh pointed out the potential risk of Covid-19 spreading in the city and asked for stronger implementation of isolation measures against the epidemic in the time ahead.
At the meeting, the representative of Soc Son District, the locality adjacent to Vinh Phuc province, said the district has strictly taken preventive measures, such as strengthening the communication on the disease on radio system and disinfecting offices and schools. Currently, seven people are isolated for monitoring.
The district/township leaders also suggested the city give detail guidance regarding returnees from epidemic-hit areas, especially Vinh Phuc Province.
According to Director of the Department of Education and Training Chu Xuan Dung, his Department has worked with the Department of Labor, War Invalids and social Affairs to propose the city to close schools until February 23.
He asked schools and education establishments to disinfect chairs, desks, classrooms and their campus, understand students’ health and grasp the disease evolution during the break-time.
Making conclusion at the meeting, Chairman of the Hanoi People’s Committee Nguyen Duc Chung stressed the complicated evolution of the COVID-19 epidemic over recent days.
He said, along with the central level’s instructions, Hanoi has taken actions to cope with the worst-case scenario.
Agreeing with the proposal of the Department of Education and Training, the Mayor decided to give students in the capital city another week off by extending their school break through February 23, 2020 in a bid to prevent the possible spread of the novel coronavirus.
He asked the Department of Education and Training to draw up plans on extending the school year to ensure the progress of teaching plans.
The Head of the Steering Committee urged the Department of Health to provide full medical equipment to medical stations as regulated.
Meanwhile, news agencies are requested to carry out communication campaigns to raise public awareness about the COVID-19 prevention.
Chung also underlined the need to timely honor “Good people, Good deeds” examples so as to make contributions to the dissemination campaign on containing the spread of the disease.