Many drowning accidents occurred in the first quarter of 2017 in localities, causing deaths of children. In an effort to prevent child drowning, Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs requests relevant ministries, sectors, unions and People’s Committees of cities, provinces under the Central Government to direct their vertically sub-ordinary agencies, People’s Committees at all levels, local agencies and sectors to increase effort for following tasks:
- Instruct implementation of Directive 17/CT-TTg dated May 16, 2016 of the Prime Minister on increasing leadership, preventing and control drowning and injuries in children;
- Enhance popularization and education to raise sense of responsibility and knowledge of agencies, organizations and individuals, focusing on prevention and control of child drowning; ask families to watch over their children, especially during summer vacation, rainy season and flooding season, and proactively take them to swimming classes; direct communications agencies to provide up-to-date information and give warning about places prone to drowning accidents; popularize knowledge and skills to prevent drowning among children and people;
- Conduct examination to detect places highly prone to drowning accidents and places where drowning occur frequently; take measures to prevent further accidents and guarantee safety for the children in summer vacation, rainy season and flooding season, such as covering wells and water tanks with lids, setting fences and danger signs at holes, ponds, rivers and dangerous places;
- Increase leadership and support to teach swimming and safety skills for children in the community and schools, especially children in poor households and marginally poor households, children in especially difficult circumstances; launch pilot program on swimming safety for children in localities;
- Enhance inspection and examination, focusing on compliance with the legal regulations on waterway safety and prevention of drowning in children; severely handle violations;
- Allocate state budget, and call for participation of the people to prevent and control child drowning and teach swimming and safety skills to children; set up safe recreational places for children, especially in summer vacation.