Previously, the Municipal People’s Committee received official letter of Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs on increasing prevention and control of child drowning accidents. Accordingly, the Ministry urges more effort for following tasks:
- Implement Directive 17/CT-TTg dated May 16, 2016 of the Prime Minister on enhancing leadership, preventing and controlling drowning and accident in children and pupils;
- Enhance information work and education to improve awareness and sense of responsibility of agencies, organizations and individuals, focusing on prevention and control of child drowning; conduct popularization, and encourage families to keep close watch over their children, especially during summer vacation, rainy season and flooding season, and proactively take children to swimming classes; direct communications agencies to provide up-to-date information, and give warning about places prone to accidents, while popularizing knowledge and skills of drowning prevention and control among the children and adults;
- Conduct examination, check and detect places where drowning accidents occur frequently or places prone to drowning accidents, thus preparing plan to prevent accidents and guarantee safety of the children during summer vacation, rainy season and flooding season, such as covering wells and water tanks with lids, setting up barriers or danger signs at water holes, ponds, rivers and dangerous areas;
- Further guide implementation, and check construction of the Safe House, Safe School and Safe Community model, as well as prevention of child accidents, thus eliminating the risk of child drowning; increase leadership and support for swimming and water safety skills classes for children in community and schools, especially for the ones in poor households, marginally poor households and special circumstances; launch pilot program on safe swimming for children in localities;
- Provide support to improve facilities for child swimming classes in localities; conduct training to improve qualification of swimming and water safety skills teachers in the community, schools and sport establishments;
- Intensify inspection and examination, focusing on compliance with legal regulations on waterway safety, prevention and control of drowning accidents in children; severely and timely handle violations;
- Allocate state budget, and call for people’s participation to prevent, control drowning in children and teach them swimming as well as water safety skills; build and organize safe recreational places for children, especially during the summer vacation.
In response to the document, the Municipal People’s Committee assigns the Department of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs in coordination with Department of Education and Training, Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union of Ha Noi, People’s Committees of districts, suburban districts and towns, and relevant units to realize instruction of Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs and document of the Municipal People’s Committee.