Hoa Phong Tower was originally the gate to a big pagoda named Bao An (also known as Quan Thuong Pagoda, Nguyen Dang Giai Pagoda or Lotus Pagoda). The pagoda was constructed in the early 1840s, covering an area of 36,000 square meters. This was a complex of 36 buildings with drum, bell towers and high pavilions. When French army invaded, they pulled down all the construction in 1892 to build the Post Office and Governor of Tonkin’s residence (now the Government Guest House). But they still left a templedoor in front of the Post Office and a tower after the pagoda named Hoa Phong. In 1898, they demolished the temple gate; only the Hoa Phong tower remained.
Hoa Phong tower nowadays is located on Dinh Tien Hoang Street, Hoan Kiem district. The tower is in square shape with four doors facing four directions. Its name (Hoa Phong) symbolizes the wish for favorable winds all four seasons. Unicorns stand on the corner columns. The upper part of the tower is narrower; the four roofs constitute a gourd, symbolizing the sky in miniature.