Ba Kieu Temple was built under the reign of King Le Than Tong (1619 -1628) to worship Mother Goddess Lieu Hanh and two princesses Quynh Hoa and Que Hoa. It was acknowledged as a cultural and historical vestige in 1994.
It was originally a complex covering a large area; however, entrance and temple were separated when the road around Hoan Kiem Lake was built in 1885. Now the entrance is close to Hoan Kiem Lake, and worshipping area is across the street.
The altars are all in the back of the temple with wooden doors separating them from the rest of the space. Originally, this part was not accessible to the public as it was considered sacred. Now it is open, but only on the 1st and the 15th days of the lunar month.
The main altar has a bas relief with statues of the Goddesses; Mother Goddess Lieu Hanh is in the center. There are two further altars on the left and two on the right of the central altar, dedicating to Vietnamese deities.
Outside the temple is an old banyan tree; beside it is a statue in tribute to those that fought for their country against the French invaders.