Legend has it that the pagoda was built in the Ly Dynasty (1010-1225) and was restored several times. As it witnessed numerous historical changes over the centuries, its architecture reflects the quintessence of different dynasties that contributed to the restorations.
Cau Dong Pagoda has many stone steles, some dated back to the Le Dynasty in 1624, and around 60 ancient Buddhist statues. The most important are statues of the Buddha of the past, present and future carved in the first half of the 18th century, and the rare and precious statue of Tuyet Son.
Inside Cau Dong Pagoda there is an altar of General Tran Thu Do and his wife, Tran Thi Dung. Tran Thu Do was an excellent politician who contributed greatly to establishment of the Tran Dynasty and the resistance war against the Yuan Meng invaders. His wife Tran Thi Dung was credited with leading the royal family to leave the imperial city of Thang Long, encouraging the people to collect metal, iron to cast weapons for the Tran troops and managing food supply for the soldiers.
Altar of General Tran Thu Do and his wife