The street is about 180 meters long, and runs from the north to the south of Ha Noi. The name “Hang Duong” means “shop of sugar”, as it originally specialized in processing and selling sugar and sweets. Nowadays, this is still the paradise for sweets lovers with various products, especially O mai (sweetened and spiced dried fruits), a culinary specialty of Ha Noi. There are many different types of dried fruits, such as apricots, plums, mandarine, peaches, tangerines, star fruits, mangoes and jackfruit. Some of them are salty, some are sweet, and some are perfect combination of sour, sweet, bitter and salty tastes.
O mai (sweetened and spiced dried fruits)
Along with sweets, many other products are sold here, such as cloth, fashion accessories, souvenirs and portraitures. This is one of the busiest streets in the Old Quarter; it becomes much more bustling and animated before Lunar New Year Festival (Tet), as people flock to the street and buy sweets to prepare for the Lunar New Year celebration.
Hang Duong Street has changed together with the ups and downs of history; however, there are still traces of the past on the street, such as national historical relics Vinh Hanh Communal House, Duc Mon Communal House and Pagoda, and Cau Dong Pagoda. Duc Mon Communal House worships Ngo Van Long, a famous general under the legendary 18th Hung King. Cau Dong Pagoda worships Buddha, along with General Tran Thu Do and his wife Tran Thi Dung, who contributed significantly to the prosperity of the Tran Dynasty (1225-1400).